Friday, March 2, 2012

Can we keep the "GIANT ROBOT"


Well, February has flown by and another new month is here.  It seems almost surreal how fast time goes by the older you get. This month has been very eventful.  We just celebrated our fifth month of marriage, learned HTML, learned web software a little better, did my husband web page, re did my portfolio web page and I'm currently setting up the building blocks for hopefully my next business venture.  Life has been very productive.  As for my husband, his life has been very productive as well.

Voltron Giant Commander. This is
 before I fixed the box.
Currently he's been working on networking, and really producing high quality reviews, content, and materials for his blogs and facebook group.  While some wives see this as a waste of time, it makes him happy and it allows him to be him self after a horrific 8 hours shift working at a  high stress job.  Plus the new website, blog and group has really change his behavior as a collector.  I personally think both the social media and the time period he spent grounded from purchasing toys have really placed great perspective and focus on his collecting.  He has really shifted from just buying random stuff to collecting higher quality pieces.  He has especially shifted toward Japanese Vinyl toys.  

To be quite honest I'm very happy with new focus.  Granted the new items that he's been adding to his collection are larger 1-2 foot pieces, they tend to be rare, higher quality, unique and at times just cool as hell. The best part of it is that instead of me having to deal with at ton of 3 to 6 inch pieces all over the living room, the new piece are easy to move, and easy to clean (LOL).  As an artist I love looking at the concepts of each toy for inspiration.

In February he only picked up two big pieces.  One of them is a 2 foot Gundam vinyl figure of from E-Bay, and the other was a Voltron "Giant Commander" remote control toy that his mother found while she was cleaning around her house.  Apparently the Voltron is a pretty rare toy.  It's over 20 years old and he still has the box with all the pieces and instructions for it.  Sadly it wasn't in NIB (new in box) condition, but it was more like SHAB (still has a box) condition.  The box looked pretty rough, so I spent an afternoon fixing it up for him as a surprised for when came home from work that evening. He was thrilled.

Epic Gundam
As cool as the Voltro was, I personally think the Gundam is ten time cooler.  While I can't not say I'm a huge anime or a Gundam series nut, I do love the Gudam robots since I saw "Mobile Suite Gundam Wing" when I was in my early teens during the Toonami show on Cartoon Network.  That show was amazing. This Vinyl Gundam looks very sturdy, and I just want to grab it and hold it like a little girl drags around a dolly all over the place.  Call me a kid, but I'm glad that he is shifting to robot type stuff. I have a soft spot for model kits,and robots. 

I'm just strange that way...

Tomorrow is the Tampa Bay Toy and Comic Book convention.  We are not sure how busy it is going to be since we just had Megacon a few weeks back, but it's a great place to connect with some of the other local artist, vendors and toy collectors. 

Who knows... maybe we will find another awesome robot. I just hope they are not to crazy pricey so i can say "Yes, we can keep it."

The Toonami intro to the Mobile Suite Gundam Wing series. You just can't beat this.

No comments:

Post a Comment